Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: 5 Year Pension Rule

Thank you for your reply but I am still unclear after reading through the links provided. Could you therefore please clarify the following scenario- I left the UK permanently in 2003 and have not been UK tax resident again until 2023 as detailed below. I returned to the UK in February 2023 to care for an elderly relative having vacated my home in Australia and put my belongings in storage. I remained in the UK until 5 April 2024. Between 5 April and 19 Aug 2024 I travelled extensively in Europe. I also spent 48 days in the UK in this period but I am not a UK tax resident under the SRT. I will arrive back in Australia on 20 August and will remain there until at least May 2025. As I am 62 I plan to retire and withdraw all my Australian superannuation as a lump sum in December 2024. Can you please advise if UK tax would be payable on this withdrawn superannuation in the following two scenarios - 1. I return to the UK permanently in May 2025. 2. I stay in Australia permanently from 20 August 2024. Thanks
  • 5 Year Pension Rule

I am a British citizen but have lived in Australia for the last 20 years. However, for the whole of the 2023/24 tax year I returned to the UK to care for an elderly relative. I am now returning to Australia and plan to draw out my Australian superannuation in its entirety as a lump sum in the current 2024/25 tax year. ( throughout which I will not be a UK tax resident) . If I decide to retire to the UK in 2025/26 tax year will I have to pay UK tax on this superannuation lump sum payment ( under the 5 year rule or any other rule ) or will it be non taxable having been taken in a year when I was not a UK tax resident. I realise that interest generated from this lump sum in subsequent years in the UK would be taxable. Thank you.