Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Pending Overseas House Sale

Hi Can you put me right over a pending house sale? Have lived outside Uk 1994-2022. Bought a holiday home in Crete 2006 whilst living and working in Norway, owned the house 16yrs whilst resident of Norway, wife is Norwegian. Moved back to Uk 2022, have owned the house 2yrs whilst resident of Uk. Where do l stand with any CGT to Uk? With any sale of the property l’m to declare to Norway as it is on mine and my Norwegian wife’s tax return and l’m tax liable to Norway until 2026, we have to declare to Norway to get the house off our tax returns. My wife is not a Uk citizen, yet. Thanks
  • CGT Overseas Property.

Hi Have owned a house overseas for 18yrs, house was bought whilst resident in Norway, paid for in Norwegian kr and paying Norwegian taxes. House was owned whilst living, working and resident in Norway for 16yrs, we’re now in the Uk, been resident here and owned the overseas house for 2yrs whilst here. So property owned 18yrs, 16 of resident in Norway, 2 of resident in Uk. We’re tax liable to Norway until Jan 2026, 3 calendar years after moving, Norwegian authorities want any house declaring there. What about HMRC?
  • RE: UK tax liability on a Norwegian state pension

Thanks for getting back on this…. To clarify… Are you saying that if l paid 15% tax on the pensions in Norway l would then have to pay a further 5% to HMRC to make the tax deduction up to the Uk rate of 20%. After living in Norway for 25yrs l am not up to speed on HMRC and it’s methods, first time around l’ll probably have to go to an accountant, l have no clue how to file a self assessment tax return. Many Thanks
  • Uk Tax on Norwegian Pensions

We moved back to the Uk from Norway in 2022, l am due to receive pensions from Norway starting June 2025. I can claim tax emigration from Norway after 3 calander years of being none resident in Norway, so 2026. With tax emigration from Norway l would then pay 15% tax to Norway on my pensions. My questions. 1. If l claim tax emigration from Norway am l due to pay any tax to the Uk when paying 15% tax to Norway on my Norwegian pensions? 2. We may at one time return to Norway as my wife is Norwegian and our children and grandchildren are there, so it may suit not to claim tax emigration from Norway. If l do not claim tax emigration from Norway and pay the tax on my pensions to Norway am l liable to tax in the Uk on my Norwegian pensions? Thanks for any response.
  • RE: UK tax liability on a Norwegian state pension

Hi I’m in a similar situation to Clive who posted earlier. We moved back to the Uk from Norway in 2022, l am due to receive pensions from Norway starting June 2025. I can claim tax emigration from Norway after 3 calander years of being none resident in Norway, so 2026. With tax emigration from Norway l would then pay 15% tax to Norway on my pensions. My questions. 1. If l claim tax emigration from Norway am l due to pay any tax to the Uk when paying 15% tax to Norway on my Norwegian pensions? 2. We may at one time return to Norway as my wife is Norwegian and our children and grandchildren are there, so it may suit not to claim tax emigration from Norway. If l do not claim tax emigration from Norway and pay the tax on my pensions to Norway am l liable to tax in the Uk on my Norwegian pensions? Thanks for any response.