Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• CGT on Crypto currency gains as a Non UK Tax Resident

The UK has not been my home since 1 February 2017. My home has been in Thailand since then up to the present day but I have spent a lot of time travelling in Australia, New Zealand, Vietnam and Cambodia and some short visits to the UK. I have continued completing self assessment and paying UK tax for years as l have rental income from UK property and a Government Police Pension. I have recently notified HMRC of my home address's in Thailand and from various HMRC online resources it seems quite apparent to me that I have not been a resident for tax purposes in the UK since 21/10/19 which was the last time I spent more than 90 days in the UK on a visit. I have looks at the Statutory Residence Test (SRT) and the Sufficient Ties Test and I believe that I have not been a Resident in the UK for Tax Purposes since Oct 2019. I will complete the tests when I complete my tax return for the 2023/24 year. During this current year I did/will not spend any time in the UK. Apart from my Government Police Pension and my rental income on UK property (UK tax paid on these each year via SA), I may also have some capital gain on crypto currency investments. Up to now I have not made any gains in crypto, just losses. Assuming I shall be deemed a non resident for tax purposes by HMRC for the 2023/24 tax year, am I correct in understanding that in such case, I will not be liable to pay CGT on any crypto gains to HMRC for this tax year and years going forward as a Non Resident for Tax Purposes? Non of the crypto currency that I purchased was when I was in the UK. It's been purchased via international crypto exchanges through UK bank transfers to these exchanges. If I realised my crypto currency capital gains would it make any different regarding tax if I deposited the gains into my UK bank account? Am I correct in my understanding that I will not be liable to any crypto currency CGT in the UK as long as a remain a Non UK Resident for Tax Purposes under the DTA Thailand has with the UK? I look forward to clarification on these points. Thank you.