Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Company electric vehicle and charger installation

We have just purchased a new Tesla Model 3 that has been paid in full by the company, which will be arriving in 3-4 weeks. I'm a sole director of a limited company and I already own a personal vehicle that I am still happy with and is very cheap to run. I may continue with my own personal car and keep the Tesla at my office as I am not currently sure if a charger can be installed at home, but at the office will not be an issue. Charging at public locations is not sustainable in my opinion. I am awaiting confirmation from the developer / council as to whether or not a charger can be installed at home by running a bit of conduit. The idea of the purchase is to do deliveries and visit local customers rather than racking up mileage on my personal car. 1. If I decide to carry on with my personal car and the Tesla is kept at my office and only used to do deliveries and to see customers, can I claim the VAT back on the purchase of the Tesla? Or is this only on commercial vehicles? 2. If it is confirmed that I can have a charger installed at home and I decide to go down the route of using the Tesla for personal and business use and paying BIK tax, can the company pay for the full installation of the home charging system? including materials, charger post and the electricians costs? 3. What happens with the cost of the electric to charge the vehicle in either of the above scenarios? Both at home and at public places (if required). If I use to car for both personal and business and can have the system installed at home, this will mean the electricity will be charged to my normal home electric tariff when being charged, but what about publicly? Do I attach my company card to pay or do I need to pay personally and claim it back? I assume if I go with option 1 then everything just goes through the company entirely? Bit confusing and my accountant doesn’t seem entirely sure hence this post. Any solid facts would be very useful. Thanks in advance!