Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Income Tax rate - Working full time and receiving state pension

I am working full time self employed and earning £1,000.00 per week. I started receiving the state pension of £928.00 per month in February and for that reason my personal allowance is reduced to allow for the state pension paid by DWP as gross without deduction. I also get a small private pension of £210.00 per month (this is taxed at 50%). I think I should pay 20% on the first £37,000 of earnings and then 40% after that. I work through an umbrella company and had to change 6-7 weeks ago to a new umbrella as the first one lost accreditation. For the last six weeks since that change, I have been paying 40% tax on work earnings yet I have only earned £21,000 in the tax year. Looking at figures on my personal tax account, HMRC know I have ended with the first umbrella and have ended my employment - but still show me as employed but receiving no pay from first umbrella. HMRC are basing my tax on income of £95,000 a year (about double what it is) and are taking 40% each week. Is this because you have not updated my tax code? The P45 was sent by the old umbrella 3 weeks ago. Surely this can't be the right amount of tax to pay?.