Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Self Assessment - Property repairs and maintenance section

On my return: Box 35 - All other capital allowances Box 36 - Costs of replacing domestic items -– for residential lettings only Box 37 - Rent a Room exempt amount Yes agree painting and decorating comes under Box 27 (property repairs and maintenance), and Carpets and washer/dryer under Box 37 (cost of replacing domestic items)

Hi HMRC Admin 2. According to the link posted by HMRC Admin 10, carpeting goes in box 36 also per below, not box 27. Please can you clarify? Thanks http://www.gov.uk/guidance/income-tax-when-you-rent-out-a-property-working-out-your-rental-income?_gl=1*dhy720*_ga*NzE2NTg5OTI0LjE2NDEyOTE2ODE.*_ga_Y4LWMWY6WS*MTY0MTI5MTY4MS4xLjEuMTY0MTMwODEzNy4w&_ga=2.7729457.2010957905.1641291681-716589924.1641291681#dom-items Allowances for replacement of domestic items If you let out residential property (a dwelling house) you may be able to claim a deduction for the cost of replacing domestic items such as: movable furniture for example beds, free-standing wardrobes furnishings for example curtains, linens, carpets, floor coverings household appliances for example televisions, fridges, freezers kitchenware for example crockery, cutlery

I have put these items in box 36 - Costs of replacing domestic items– for residential lettings only
  • RE: Claiming working from home allowance

Hi, it's in the Employment section, under Employment Expenses, Box 20 is 'Other expenses and capital allowances". The £6x52 weeks = £312 goes in there.
  • Refund for overpaid tax on account

Hi, I have just submitted my 2020-21 tax return, and the amount due is a lot less than previous years due to replacement flooring etc when my previous long-term tenants moved out. My payment on account from last year is considerably more than the amount due for 2020-21. I can't yet "request a refund" from my online account. Does anyone know when this will be available for me to request, and how long it will take to come through? Thanks
  • Major maintenance works on rental property

Hi, I am due to pay for major maintenance works on my rental property in Q4 2021-22. All leaseholders need to pay their proportion, for roof repairs, water mains works, electrical repairs, wall repairs, etc. Do I include this cost in the property repairs and maintenance section? Thanks!