Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Child Benefit and Redundancy

Hi, this response is absolutely very poor on HMRCs part. The entire thread on this forum is about how unhelpful and not clear the links are. I called HMRC, who eventually an advisor informed me redundancy falls under “golden handshake” and this is not subject to counting as income for the purpose of claiming child benefit. This was advice given verbally and now I am simply asking HMRV to confirm in writing for my benefit and the benefit of others reading this thread and you can’t even do that. Can you please confirm redundancy is golden handshake and should not be counted towards income for the purposes of calculating child benefit?!

Hi, The question isn’t is the redundancy taxable, the question was do we add it to Income in year. As HMRC took over 3 weeks to reply, I phoned the self assessment line, eventually an andvisor stated that ‘Golden Handshake’ payments should not count towards Income for the purposes of claiming child benefit. Can HMRC confirm this please?

This is still incredibly confusing and incredibly vague. Can I please get a reply?

Totally agree Steve. I have just re read the advice you were given and seems to contradict itself several times. You will also notice my post has now went 7 days without reply. There are 3 example scenarios given on the link and none even remotely mention redundancy.

Hi, This is still incredibly confusing and incredibly vague. On The link sent (twice now with no further advice or clarity ) redundancy is not mentioned at all, nor does it apply to any of the three examples provided on the link. My redundancy payment has already been taxed heavily through PAYE. I simply want to know whether to add the sum left over after tax to my current salary this year and if it now discounts me from claiming child benefit. Just a straight forward yes or no would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi, I still don’t think that is right. Basically out of my £30k redundancy payment -£25k was taxable, so your advice is to take said £25k and add that as income to my current salary of £68k which would mean I would not be eligible for child benefit ?? Also I have followed the guidance link and whilst income covers salary; rental income; bonds; interest from savings etc it doesn’t state redundancy payment. Thanks

Hi, I have the same query and the above answer isn’t clear. I earn circa £68k per year prior to pension deductions in my current role. I received a redundancy payment from my ex employer in May of £30k of which was taxed appropriately under PAYE. My question - should I count the redundancy payment towards my income this year ? which would mean that the Higher Income Benefit charge applies, as it would put me over £80k for the year.