Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Lump sum payment for Easement

Apologies, I think I missed something, presumably this is where I should be going ? CG15701 > CG12945 which I think is perhaps more relevant.
  • RE: Lump sum payment for Easement

Hi Admin 25, As the gain from the asset doesn't appear to fall under any of the other category headings, seeing as it is not lost, damaged, destroyed, wasted, restored or being demolished.. ..the only part of the Capital Gains manual which I think appertains to my enquiry is perhaps this part ? CG15701 - Compensation: asset not lost or destroyed Where an asset has not been lost or destroyed, but the owner receives compensation for the damage to the asset, s22(1) TCGA92 treats the compensation as a capital sum derived from the asset (see CG12945 and CG12948). Have I understood that correctly ? But the compensation, if it can be termed thus, is for perpetual access to the asset, to which I still hold title, and not in relation to any damage per se. Is 'access' to an asset categorized as 'damage' eg treated in the same way ? Hav I understood this corrctly ?
  • Lump sum payment for Easement

If one receives a significant lump sum payment for an easement in perpetuity from a utility company in relation to access and maintain their equipment on ones property, how is this treated for taxation purposes ? Presumably it is a CGT liability as opposed to income ? How and when is this dealt with with if one is a normal basic rate tax payer who up until now had only been on PAYE ?
  • Fuel provided for private use

I was updating my Company Car details in relation to replacing an existing car with a new car. I inadvertently entered 'Yes' to 'Fuel provided for private use', when the correct answer should have been 'No' I logged back in to try and amend this only to find that this was not possible. It appears that all I can do is to remove/stop the Private Fuel benefit from the day following the day that it was started. Is this all I can do or can this be amended/removed entirely ?