Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• ALCS Tax

Hello, I am employed at a UK university, full-time, am a British Citizen, living in the UK, and a higher rate taxpayer. In the tax year 23-24 I received a net payment of £2450.27 for royalties from ALCS (£2762.52 gross, prior to them deducting their commission, and my membership fee plus VAT). The payment received in March 2024 is actually an aggregate of royalties collected over the last several years, but paid this year, i.e., 2020 = £1,256.76 2021 = £149.92 2022 = £1,355.84 Total = £2,762.52 My question is: how I should enter this into the self-assessment form (under what section, what amount, and so on)? I have read the Tax Return notes (SA150_Notes_24), other sources of information from HMRC, and looked at a range of other guides too, but it is still not entirely clear to me how I should be entering this. Indeed, having not submitted a self-assessment form before, and not wanting to make a mistake, I would appreciate more rather than less specific guidance if possible, thank you. Best wishes, JMT