Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: QROPS 5 Year Tax Rule

I posted my query above, about converting my Canadian QROP RRSP to a non-QROP RRIF. After the post I discovered the UK Gov QROP contact information and sent my question to them. They replied within 2 working days with the answer that, as I have been resident in Canada since 2002 and my pension was transferred before 2017 (actually 2015 not 2016 as I wrote above) I will not be liable to UK tax or penalties on my transfer. Hope this helps someone in a similar situation Regards
  • RE: QROPS 5 Year Tax Rule

Hi. I moved to Canada in 2001 and became a Canadian citizen a couple of years after that. I transferred my UK company pension to a Canadian QROP Registered Retirement Savings Scheme (RRSP) in 2016. By law, in Canada this year (when I turn 71) I have to transfer my RRSP to a Registered Retirement Income Fund (RRIF) that has an annual compulsory withdrawal amount. The Bank that holds the RRSP no longer provides has QROP accounts. Will I be liable to UK tax and or penalties when I make the legally required transfer to a non- QROP RRIF