Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Does Interest on Cash ISA count towards ISA allowance?

I opened an Cash ISA account with 20000 pounds, which is the yearly limit. At the end of the first month, I've earned ~20 pounds interest, and it's been paid into the same ISA account. Have I now exceeded my ISA limit because I have 20020 pounds in the account?
  • Underpaid tax included in PAYE coding

Hi, I'm trying to fill in my self-assessment for the first time. There is section called "Underpaid tax included in PAYE coding". In the first page of this section, it describes what to enter as "Amount of underpaid tax for earlier years included in your tax code for 2022-23 (from your PAYE Notice of Coding). Please enter '0' if there is nothing shown:" It also says "If you pay tax under PAYE, your 6 April 2022 to 5 April 2023 tax code may have been adjusted to collect tax you owe for earlier years. Look at your 6 April 2022 to 5 April 2023 PAYE Coding Notice (P2)." I didn't get any letters about (PAYE Notice of Coding) P2. How can I get/see this information? And, in the second page it asks for the last tax year. I have no clue where to see it as well: "Amount of estimated underpaid tax for 6 April 2022 to 5 April 2023 to be included in your PAYE tax code for 6 April 2023 to 5 April 2024 (from your PAYE Notice of Coding). Please enter '0' if there is nothing shown:"
  • Foreign Income

Hi, if I have savings accounts in another country, in that country's currency, say X, and if, even with the interest rate, the pound sterling equivalent of money decreases (because of country's inflation and exchange rates), do I pay tax on this and how do I report this in self-assessment form? Example: If I have 20000 X equivalent to 10000 GBP, and the saving account yields 1000 X, which sums up to 21000 X at the end of the tax year; but the resulting amount is equivalent to 9000 GBP, do I need to pay tax on 1000 X earned?
  • RE: Employer refuses to correct P60 and re-issue

What happens if the tax code in P60 is different because the new employer didn't account for the previous income? Does HMRC adjust it in the next years and we aren't in an obligation?