Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Self Assessment Registration and Exchange Rate

I still did not receive any letter for UTR. Try to call 0300 200 3310 but it keeps asking me to tell the reason for calling for many time but in return the answer given was totally not relevant or not helpful. In any other way, I can reach anyone to advise my status. This is the second year, I found challenges to complete the process.
  • RE: Self Assessment Registration and Exchange Rate

Thank you, HMRC team. I already registered for Self Assessment per above instruction a week ago. May I know when I can have my UTR in my Gateway account or receive letter for such information? Before I received the UTR, does it mean that I cannot file the Self Assessment Form to report my overseas income online? Thanks
  • Self Assessment Registration and Exchange Rate

Background: I moved to UK in 2022/23 and I was not employed for the year but only earned overseas saving interest for ~£300 depending on the exchange rate. I tried to registered for Self Assessment on 4 October 2023 but have no idea why it was halved and no UTR or any confirmation received. I called to hotline on 5 October 2023 since I concerned if the interest earned is required / up to the required amount to file Self Assessment for 2022/23. The HMRC representative walked me through a series of questions and confirmed that I am not required to report or registered Self Assessment. I worked in 2023/24 for 6 months and employer has already filed and withheld tax via PAYE. I heard from various sources recently so checked on this Community Forum to find out that regardless how much is the overseas income including saving interest and if that fund remitted to UK or not, I am required to file via Self Assessment. Question: 1. How can I generate Self Assessment? Request paper form, register online like the failed attempt did in 2022/23 or via my Gateway account? 2. How can I report the ‘potential’ missing Self Assessment for 2022/23? 3. Once I successfully register the Self Assessment, how can I also file for 2023/24 overseas interest on top of my PAYE since I already received Tax Calculation for 2023/24 with refund? 4. Interests are credited to my overseas bank accounts on monthly basis but I did not remit to UK so far. When I file the amount of overseas interests, which exchange rate should I use, spot rate on the date interest credited (not found on Gov.uk) or monthly average or yearly average wage as of 31st March of relevant years?