Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Ceasing being an accidental landlord, trailing costs before sale.

I am an accidental landlord who has had just one property. I once lived in this property until I rented it out. I have had a number of tenants. When the last tenant gave notice I put the property up for sale straightaway whilst her lease was still running. It sold 4 months after the tenant's lease ceased and I last received rent. In the months between when the tenancy ended and I sold the property, I incurred normally allowable property expenses of council tax, utilities, insurance, ground rent and service charge. These 4 months were 3 before the 5 April 2024 and one after. Are these final 4 months of incurred expenses allowable anywhere. I have had an opinion that the rental of the property stopped when the tenant left. And so any expenses incurred after that date are irrelevant to my tax calculation. I have also read, but this may only apply to property businesses, that the cost are allowable up until when the property is sold. Can this expenditure be included, so that there is a loss in the month of April, and set against my personal tax liability ?