Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Remittance basis - unemployed - India EPF

Thank you for your response. However, as per the guidance on this https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/non-domiciled-residents, it says non-domiciled residents claiming remittance basis do not need to pay tax on unremitted income (if it is not utilised in or otherwise sent to the UK). Is my understanding accurate. Separate question 2: for cash gifts received from parents for living cost (under GBP 15,000), do those need to be mentioned in the self-assessment return?
  • Remittance basis - unemployed - India EPF

Hello, I have been an international student for the most part of 2023-24 FY and I am also unemployed. I have no UK income during the year (beyond petty savings interest less then GBP 100 accrued in the UK bank account). However, I have recently encashed my Employees' Provident Fund (EPF) in India (less than GBP 50,000) to help me with some urgent expenses in India and I have not yet remitted these funds to the UK. Now I have a few questions: 1. I believe I automatically qualify for remittance basis. Also, based on HMRC guidance tool, I need not file self assessment return this year because not self employed, no UK income, and no overseas income above GBP 50,000. Is this correct? 2. (a) If I send myself some of the savings / funds from the encashed EPF in India or book accommodation for myself in the UK from these funds in India, would such funds be considered to be remitted foreign income and attract tax in the UK? (b) If yes, would such remittance disqualify me from automatic remittance basis? Or is there a limit to how much I can send myself? (c) Would I then need to file returns? I need these sums to sustain myself in the UK while I begin a job since I will not get paid this tax year. 3. Is there tax chargeable and return to be filed for any cash transfer made to my UK bank account from overseas family / friends to help me with living costs? 3. Do people who subsequently are on PAYE need to file a self assessment return for the period they were unemployed? Thank you