Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Gas engineer working for a company and getting taxed straight away

Hi all/ good morning, I hope all is well. I work as a gas engineer and I have been since October 2023. Now I'm not sure which forms and all I need to be filling in to do my taxes as I work for a company but kind of like I choose when to work and not to work. They then pay me out but they automatically deduct the tax expense which is 20% of the whole income I make that month. They pay me hourly and depending of how many hours I do is what they pay. I don't get sick pay at this job as again, it's a choice on when you want to and not want to work. However, as I've been charged more tax than normal as it doesn't include the personal allowance that I'm entitled to which I beleive is around £12,570 might be a bit more now but for some reason that's not been included. I also have business expenses that were made and am not sure if I can claim back for this. I need advice on what forms I will need to fill in for this type of job as I've already been taxed so I'm not sure how to go about this? Thanks in advance for your patience in reading this and your time in answering.