Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Declaring Capital Gains Tax

HMRC Admin 25 - thanks so much for the clarifying information. Kind regards.

Feedback .

Hi Clive and many thanks for a clear answer! Much appreciated.

Thank you - but this doesn't address my confusion about having to register and pay within 60 days - and then having to ALSO declare it on my next self-assessment tax return. Won't I get taxed twice if I do that?

Hello, thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, that link doesn't work. There will definitely be a gain, my concern is that I'm self employed and I don't know if I should declare it on next years (2024 to 2025) self assessment tax return. The sale of the property is well over £50,000 but the taxable amount is 26,000. If I register and pay my share of CGT and then ALSO report it in my next tax return, won't I be made to pay twice? this is the part I don't understand. Also will my brother need to register for CGT as he doesn't have a self-assessment account? Kind regards Tess
  • Declaring Capital Gains Tax

My brother and I inherited property from my father. (He passed away on 29/12/23) The split is 50-50. If we sold the property for more than it was valued for probate, and have to pay Capital Gains Tax on the difference - How do we each report our own portion of the capital gains tax? Can one of us do it on behalf of the other? There is no Power of Attorney. Do we need to register, report and pay out half of the tax separately? Also - if I report and pay my half of the Capital Gains Tax, will I also need to declare it on my next tax return, seeing as I have already paid GCT? (I am self-employed - my brother is not.) It all seems very complicated, so I don't know if a complete answer to my problem is possible. (I'm sorry I posted this in the self assessment forum and this seems like a better place for it)