Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Capital gains on share incentive plan/ ESOP

Hi, thanks for your reply and the link. I've looked at that page, and what I'm referring to is the Share Incentive Plan. It's not clear what is considered the purchase price for the whole bundle of partnership and matching shares when they are sold after being moved to another broker. Is it related to the original purchase price at all or the price on the day they were transferred or some other price? Thanks
  • Capital gains on share incentive plan/ ESOP

Hi, I worked for an employer for several years. Every month I salary sacrificed the same GBP amount and received some partnership shares and matching shares. After a while I left the company, some tax was due on some of the shares and some matching shares were forfeited. I then moved these shares from the scheme administrator/broker to another share broker. 1. How do I determine the cost price of this set of shares? The HMRC page indicates that it's the value on the date I moved them out of the brokerage managing the scheme, is that correct? Does the actual monthly/total amount of salary sacrificed matter at all? 2. Secondly, all these shares are now bundled with other shares received as part of incentive compensation. If I can answer question 1, is the total purchase cost the weighted average of both sets of shares? Thanks