Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Question about Double Taxation Agreement

I have some questions about tax payment in UK. I moved from Hong Kong to UK since November 2022 via BNO 5+1 visa and I am now working from home in UK under the employment of a company in Hong Kong. My company is still filling the necessary taxation procedures to Hong Kong government as if I were in Hong Kong for my employment. Therefore, I am still paying tax to Hong Kong government for the income earned from my company in Hong Kong. To my understanding, I don’t need to pay twice to both Hong Kong and UK for the same amount of income earned for the same financial year due to the “Double Taxation Agreement” between Hong Kong and UK. In this regard, is it correct that I can only pay the net amount of the income tax required by UK? (i.e. total tax amount required by UK minus total tax amount paid in Hong Kong for that financial year). For example, I have already paid HKD10,000 (around GBP1,000) for the income tax required by Hong Kong. If the income tax required by UK is GBP5,000, then I only need to pay GBP4,000 to HMRC. If my understanding is correct, please advise the procedures including form number for applying this tax exemption based on “double taxation agreement”. Thank you very much.