Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Missing Self Assessment Statement

On 23/05/2024 I submitted my 2023-2024 tax return online. After submission there was a message to say that it may take up to 72 hours for the charge to appear on my statement. However, after five days I have no statements to view, either in my Personal Tax Account, or in the HMRC app. Does it sometimes take longer than 72 hours to produce a statement? I should point out that 2023-2024 is the first return that I've needed to submit since the 2002-2003 tax year, so I have now previous statements available to view. I had been considering an early payment of the charge for 2023-2024, but I don't want to do this if I'm unable to view the charge and subsequent payment on my statement.
  • Reactivating Self-Assessment after a long break (over 20 years)

I last submitted a tax return for the 2002 to 2003 tax, after which I was taken out of Self -Assessment. I now find myself needing to submit a return for the 2023 to 2024 tax year for my investment income. I have no other reason to submit a return. I submitted form SA1 a couple of months ago, but this was rejected, as I already have a UTR . I can see my Self-Assessment details for the old years in my Personal Tax Account. I have read in other posts that I will need to reactivate the account, but none of the instructions have been very clear on how this is done. I have logged into my account recently, so is this all that is needed? I had thought I would need to receive a notice to file from HMRC before submitting a return for the 2024 to 2024 tax year. However, do I simply submit an unsolicited return online for the 2023 to 2024 tax year sometime between 6 April 2024 and 31 January 2025? Your advice would be appreciated.