Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Business address outside of the UK for self-employment registration

Hello, thank you for your answer.

Feedback  .
  • RE: Question regarding the number of clients

Hello, thank you very much for the clarification.
  • RE: Question regarding the number of clients

Hello, Thank you for your response. I just would like to confirm that if I answer 'Yes' to the mentioned question, it won't result in my sole trader registration being declined or lead to additional inquiries seeking clarification on my work for my single client outside of the UK. I am concerned about this because my understanding is that a sole trader is typically perceived to have multiple clients. But probably it is less strict in case client is outside of the UK. Thank you.
  • Business address outside of the UK for self-employment registration

Hello, I am in the process of registering as a self-employed sole trader and need to specify a business address. I work remotely from my home office, which is a rented house, and I don't actually require a physical business address except for possible HMRC correspondence in the future. 1. Can I rely on HMRC online cabinet for all notifications and communication? 2. Is it necessary for the business address to be in the UK, or can I use an alternative address outside UK (for example, my own home in another country)? I'm asking these questions because I've discovered specific clauses in my tenancy agreement that make me concerned about using my rented address as a business address. Therefore, I'm wondering if I can use an alternative address located outside the UK to pass registration and avoid potential violations of my existing tenancy agreement. Then, I would use my online cabinet for all notifications and communication regarding taxes etc. Just in case, these clauses are as follows: > 3.9.4 Not to register a company at the address of the Property. > 3.9.5 Not to operate a business trade or profession from the Property I would appreciate your guidance in this matter. Thank you.
  • Question regarding the number of clients

Hello, Last year, I relocated to the UK and subsequently began providing IT services remotely for my sole client, who is registered outside the UK and my home country. While I have been registered as self-employed in my home country for a long time, I am now in the process of registering as a self-employed sole trader in the UK and then will fill in my self-assessment tax return for 22/23. As I proceed with my self-assessment form, I've come across a question that reads, 'Are you working for one person or firm only?' I find myself uncertain about how to respond to this question and how it might impact my self-assessment registration. Currently, I indeed have a single client, however, I might potentially change this arrangement or have additional contract with another client in the future. I would appreciate your guidance on whether answering 'Yes' to this question could have any implications on self assessment? Moreover, does working remotely for a single client registered outside of the UK have any impact, or is it entirely unaffected in this scenario? Thank you for your assistance. Kind regards, Slava