Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Accidental ISA Exceed - next steps?

Hi, Just replying to this: "Hi, Any excess over the ISA limit will not have the protection and any interest will be classed as taxable income. Also as a non resident you cannot pay into an ISA so any interest earned in this period will also not be exempt. You can contact us with details to tell you if any tax is due to be paid. Thank you." I have tried, I was told to call my ISA provider, who also do not know the answer...
  • RE: Accidental ISA Exceed - next steps?

Hi, I have two incidences that need resolving regarding a Help-to-Buy ISA. I have accidentally exceeded my yearly ISA allowance back in tax year 2020/21 as I had opened a stocks and shares ISA to the capped amount, towards the end of the tax year (forgetting I already had a Help-to-Buy). I also realised I accidentally kept my direct debit going for it when I moved abroad for a bit for work so it continued to deposit money into the Help-to-Buy while I was away. I tried called my Help-to-Buy ISA provider last week, but they asked me to call HMRC 03002003300 - I did and I am still none the wiser on what to do, because I could not get an answer. What should I do now? How can I resolve this? Please could you provide some directions on what I should do? Thank you in advance!