Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Overpayment tax

Update. My employer says they have 'sorted' this issue but refuses to divulge any details. Can anyone offer me any advice on what they should be doing regarding this tax paid in my name last year? Thanks.
  • Overpayment tax

Hello. After my maternity leave ended (September 2022) I took an extra unpaid year sabbatical (due to a family illness). During this time I received three paychecks in error. I was aware at the time but had too much going on and thought I would sort it out on returning to work. Now my employer has insisted that I have to repay the full amount including the tax, but they will deduct the tax if I pay it in a lump sum. I have insisted that this is not right and they have finally agreed that I do not have to pay the tax back. This is fine however what happens about the tax payed last year when I was not working? I have told them they have to amend this in a previous tax year with their software. They're saying they can't do this. I don't want to be disadvantaged by this in some way or be held liable. What should they be doing regarding this tax? Thanks.