Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Dividend Withholding Tax

Dear HMRC, I am currently preparing my tax return for the year 2024 and would appreciate some guidance regarding how to accurately report foreign dividends received from Hong Kong, which were subject to withholding tax. The details of the dividend are as follows: Original dividend amount: £2,000 Withholding tax paid (10%): £200 Charges deducted: £10 Net dividend received in GBP: £1,790 Based on this, I am uncertain about how to properly input these figures on the foreign dividends section of my tax return. Specifically, I would like to confirm whether the following inputs are correct: Amount of income arising or received before any tax taken off: £2,000 Foreign tax taken off or paid: £200 Special Withholding Tax and any UK tax taken off: £10 To claim foreign tax credit relief: Should I put an 'X' in this box? Could you please confirm if this is the correct way to report these figures, or provide any corrections or additional steps I should follow? Thank you for your assistance. Kind regards, Phy