Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Closing bank account abroad and transferring to UK bank account

Hello, I'm wondering what taxes will be incurred if I transfer money from abroad to my normal UK bank account. My situation: I am a middle aged British, UK based, basic rate tax payer working in a normal office in the UK on less than £50k. I'm just a normal employee on PAYE and never had an accountant or a tax advisor or anything like that . Due to my background (late British father was expat banker and mother is foreign) I have a bank account abroad (Hong Kong) that doesn't accrue any interest and just sits there. It's not an investment, just deposit account. The source I guess would be classed as a gift from my mum. It is from my late dad's income shared with my mum. My mum is Japanese in case it's relevant. I want to close the account and transfer my share to my UK bank account. transfer amount is under £280k. There are other currencies in the account but they will all go to my mum's accounts in Japan. What would happen if I transfer the GBP over here? HMRC wrote to me about the account before but I said I wasn't gaining interest from it so the case was closed. But this worried me, I rather the funds were here and taxed normally by the UK bank account. I'm clueless with this stuff...!