Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: CF83 status COMPLETED - What next?

Just an update for anyone interested in my timelines. CF83 Posted from Canada on 28-Feb. Arrived (both post tracking confirmation and gov.uk website 'received' status) on 11-March. On 23-April it was marked "completed" on the Gov.uk website. On 1st May I received my shortfall breakdown and payment instructions through the snail mail post in Canada. Quite a lot faster than the 1 year estimated on .gov. I've made the payment - now monitoring for the updated record.
  • CF83 processed. How to pay mix of class 2 and class 3 (overseas resident)

Dear HMRC Team (Other knowledgeable feedback welcome and appreciated!) I am a British citizen, but have lived and worked in Canada for the last 15 years. I have completed a CF83 form, and have received a written posted response detailing the amounts I need to pay to catch up the last 18 years (2006 to 2024) of NI contributions. I have called the pension service as directed in my written response and they confirmed that paying this amount WILL increase my state pension. The annual catch up amounts are a mix of class 2 and class 3 contributions, and the letter does not say which is which (I can work it out) with some years being mixed / split class 2 and class 3. The method of payment given to me for class 2 contributions appears simple. Using the QQ123456AICJONESA example reference as shown on the website along with bank deposit details. The method of payment given to me for class 3 contributions requires an 18 digit reference number which was NOT given to me on the written response. My question is whether I can pay ALL the outstanding contributions (class 2 and class 3) using bank transfer and the (QQ123456AICJONESA example) reference. The phone advisor was not sure. Can you please advise how to pay the class 3 portion of my catch up? Thanks in advance Jonathan.
  • RE: Expected response date for submitted CF83 form. - Enough time?

Bump - In the hope that a HMRC moderator will respond. Thankyou!
  • Canadian Citizen - Worked in UK for 8 years, now back in Canada, continue NI contributions?

My wife is a Canadian Citizen, with no current UK status. She lived and worked in the UK on a residency permit for approx. 8 years between 2000 and 2008 paying payroll tax and NI contributions. In 2008 she moved permanently back to Canada. She has less than the 10 years required for getting any UK state pension, Can she pay top-up NI contributions? TIA Jonathan.
  • RE: CF83 status COMPLETED - What next?

In Canada also here, and similar situation. I submitted CF83 by post, and it arrived (tracked) on 11th March. It is also showing as received on the gateway. Expected response time however is March 10th 2025, and I'm really concerned this is pushing up against the new deadline, especially if they require extra clarification, or if the response is posted. Has anybody heard if they will continue processing applications (and allow payment) beyond April 5th 2025 if the application was in sooner ?? TIA.
  • Expected response date for submitted CF83 form. - Enough time?

I live overseas and plan to catch up with my NI contributions going back to 2006, I have completed CF83 and supporting documentation (employment records). This was posted by mail (recorded delivery) and documented as being received by the future pensions team on 11-Mar-2024 Reviewing my file online, I see that it has been received, but that the expected response date is 10-March-2025 ! My concern is that if the HMRC response is posted overseas, and if any clarifications or additional supporting documentation is required, then it may well push me past the 5-April 2025 deadline. Is that deadline a hard stop for payment to be made? Or will applications continue to be processed if received prior to that date? I'm a year early here, but still very concerned about missing the deadline. I'd appreciate any advice on this Thankyou Jonathan.