Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Remitted foreign savings (arising basis)

Hi, Thank you for your . Apologies, it is still unclear to me. You say: 'When remitting the income you declare it only in the section that it actually relates to'. If i'm filing online on arising basis (no paper filing, no remittance basis), which section does remitted income relate to - 'Foreign Income' section or 'Remitted Foreign Savings' ? Also, you said earlier: 'You only need include in the foreign section when you want to claim a foreign tax credit.' Does this mean that if  I don't want to claim foreign tax credit relief, I don't have to declare foreign capital gains even if i'm filing on arising basis ? Thank you.

Hi, Thank you for your responses, but it hasn't answered my questions. From the examples i took, i understand that i must show £1000 in the foreign dividends section and £1000 in the foreign property section. I have already done that. My question is: do i also need to show £500 in the remitted foreign savings section, aside from the other two sections ? I'm thinking no, since i've already shown all my income in the foreign dividends and foreign property section. My understanding is that i would only need to show £500 in the remitted foreign savings section if i wanted to claim remittance basis, and wouldn't be showing my full income in the other two sections. The thing that's confusing to me is that anyone claiming remittance basis cannot complete their tax return online themselves, isn't it ? They have to either file a paper return, or file thru' thirdparty software. So, what is the purpose of the 'Remitted Foreign Savings' section ? And re. foreign capital gains. You say: 'You only need include in the foreign section when you want to claim a foreign tax credit.' Does this mean that if i don't want to claim foreign tax credit relief, i don't have to declare foreign capital gains even if i'm filing on arising basis ? Thank you.

Hi, Follow-up: Re. the 'Remitted Foreign Savings' section (my Q1 and Q2), am i correct in understanding that this only needs to be filled if filing under the remittance basis ? Since i'm filing under the arising basis, my understanding is that i skip this section. Still requesting confirmation on my Q3. Re. my Q4, i have found the detailed calculations. However, could you explain what 'Foreign savings' is in the calculations, please. My understanding is that only foreign income earned during the year is added to 'Total income received'. It's not clear to me why there is an item called Foreign *savings* that is added to the taxable income. And finally, re. foreign capital gains tax relief. This has been brought up before. There is a long discussion in a past thread by some one else, and I went thru' the entire thread, and the question still seemed to remain unanswered. I have some foreign capital gains which i have reported, along with all the specific details included into the 'Capital gains' section. I paid some foreign tax on it, which also i included into the Capital gains section. When i was tailoring the return, i said to yes to claiming foreign capital gains tax credit relief. However, after i completed all the details and went to 'View your calculation', the foreign capital gains tax was never taken into account. Not even a single penny. Isn't this a glitch ? Thank you
  • Remitted foreign savings (arising basis)

Hi, I'm doing my self assessment tax return for the first time, i'm doing it myself and need some help. I am not claiming remittance basis, i'm doing my self assessment tax return directly on the HMRC website (which doesn't yet support remittance basis), so i'm claiming arising basis. My questions are mostly re. foreign income and gains. I think mostly understand 'Foreign Income' and 'Foreign Property' sections. But i don't fully understand the 'Remitted Foreign Savings' section. The thing that is confusing to me is that the section title is Remitted Foreign *Savings*, however, the questions within the section are similar to those in the Foreign *Income* section. They focus on income rather than savings. So, i have a few questions: 1. If, for example, i have foreign dividends of £1000 on which i paid foreign tax for which i would like to claim credit, and i remit £500 into the UK, am i required to report £1000 in the 'Foreign Dividends' section AND £500 in the 'Remitted Foreign Savings' section ? 2. Separately, if, for example, i have foreign rental income of £1000 on which i paid foreign tax for which i would like to claim credit, and i remit £1500 into the UK (£1000 rental income + £500 old savings), am i required to report £1000 in the 'Foreign Property' section AND £1000 in the 'Remitted Foreign Savings' section ? 3. Am i correct in understanding that the 'Foreign Property' section covers both foreign rental income as well as foreign capital gains (which might not be pertaining to the same property) ? 4. Is there a way to see how the tax calculation was made ? When i go to 'View Your Calculation' it just shows me the final calculated tax. It doesn't show me any calculations as such. Thank you