Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Mechanism for paying class 2 NI contributions from abroad

Hello, I submitted form CF83 in 2023 and received confirmation in January of this year that I could proceed with paying voluntary class 2 NICs from overseas. I have been gradually making catch up payments since then. Each payment value corresponds to a full year of outstanding contributions from the list I was sent in my confirmation letter; I had hoped this approach would be the most straightforward. The majority of these payments have been processed and the relevant years are now showing as paid in full on my NI record. However, I received a bizarre letter in July pertaining to a payment I made on May 13th. The letter claimed that "you have not provided any information as to why this payment was made for [sic] and for which tax years. As you are living abroad, if you wish to pay voluntary contributions towards your National Insurance record, you must submit the CF83 form." There is then a good deal more about how to submit CF83, and it ends with "After receiving your application form, we can allocate your payment to the correct tax years." Naturally, I was thoroughly confused by this... especially given the fact that payments I made beforehand on February 6th and afterwards on May 20th have both been successfully processed and applied to my NI record! I have today paid the rest of my outstanding voluntary contributions, so my question is whether there is a chance that this will prompt this 'pending' payment from May 13th to work itself out, or is it going to sit eternally in the ether unless I actually call HMRC from overseas? I'm not overly concerned about the timeline, but I don't want to overshoot the April 2025 deadline. Thank you in advance for your help.