Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• We have found your personal tax account under a different Government Gateway user ID

Hello, I'm an employee of a company in the construction industry. I don't have a permanent place of work and I use my own personal vehicle to travel to different locations of work. My employer does not pay me any mileage. I am eligible to claim tax relief on mileage. I am not able to submit a P87 form due to the expenses being claimed are over £2500, meaning that I need to submit a self assessment. I created a new government gateway user ID so that I could register for a self assessment. Once registering and declaring my details it brought me to a page that said the following - /We have found your personal tax account under a different Government Gateway user ID To protect your information, access to your personal tax account was limited to the user ID below, ending with ****. You are currently signed in with the user ID ending with ****. To access your personal tax information you need to sign in again with the following user ID:' I've logged into my personal tax account and there are no self assessment options. How do I go about processing my self assessment if I am unable to actually create an account? Thank you.