Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • RE: Offset foreign capital gains loss against income

    Thanks. The loss resulted from some trades that were made in my investment account when I rebalanced my portfolio. Please confirm how this affects the above? Thank you.
  • Offset foreign capital gains loss against income

    Hello, I am a UK resident. On my Canadian holdings, I have a realised capital loss of C$800. Can this be set off against foreign income when completing the Foreign section of the self assessment? Thanks.
  • Canadian ISA - transfer to UK

    Hello, I am a Canadian resident who lives and pays tax in the UK. I do not have tax residency in Canada but do maintain a Tax Free Savings Account (TFSA), similar to an ISA, in Canada. I recently withdrew some money from this TFSA and transferred it to my bank account in the UK. Some capital gains from interest were realised. However, as it is from an ISA equivalent account, I am unclear if any tax is due to HMRC. Specifically, under the terms of Article 22(1) of the Canada/UK double taxation treaty it states the following - "The nationals of a Contracting State shall not be subjected in the other Contracting State to any taxation or any requirement connected therewith which is other or more burdensome than the taxation and connected requirements to which nationals of that other State in the same circumstances are or may be subjected." In 2021, an HMRC Community Forums post (since deleted, but here for reference: stated, "In this case, as long as you are a national of Canada, you will not be taxed on the interest in your Canadian ISA account in the UK, as long as it remains non-taxable in Canada." Please can you confirm if this tax-free capital gains from Canada is taxable in the UK? Kind regards