Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Rent out car parking space and CGT on selling primary residence

Hi, I have been renting out my car parking space in the primary residence I'm living in. Now I'm looking to sell the property, and I would like to know whether renting out the car parking space considered as "letting our part of your home" according to this article https://www.gov.uk/tax-sell-home/let-out-part-of-home? And do I have to pay capital gain tax because of renting out the car parking space? Thanks.
  • RE: Do I need to pay tax on Japan pension refund?

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. Could you elaborate why the refund is not taxable?
  • Do I need to pay tax on Japan pension refund?

Hi, I used to live in Japan for about 7 years, then moved to the UK. While living in Japan, I contributed to Japan National Pension which is similar to UK State pension. Because I only contributed to Japan National Pension for 7 years which is not enough to qualify to get pension when I reach pension age. So after moving out of Japan, I applied for pension refund which is something Japan Pension allows. A few months later I got the refund to my UK bank account. My question are because I applied and got the refund while being a UK tax resident: 1. is the refund considered as taxable? 2. if so, under which section/category should I declare the money under in my self-assessment? Thanks.