Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Queries about Interest on savings for children

Hi, I have read the link that you provided, but I am still want to clarify that my daughter bank account opened with £3000 on 17th Nov 2021, and I have never bank-in since 17th Nov 2021. The saving interest for year 2023/2024 was £146. In this situation, do I (as a parent) need to pay tax on saving interest for year 2023/2024? Secondly, the following statement saying "their own Personal Savings Allowance", so who is their referring to (Parent or child or both)? "The parent will have to pay tax on all the interest if it’s above their own Personal Savings Allowance." Thirdly, if the child has their own Personal Savings Allowance, then the parent should not need to pay tax for that £146 saving interest, am I correct? Really appreciate if you could answers the questions above. Many Thanks.
  • Queries about Interest on savings for children

On 17th Nov 2021, I have open a Child bank account for my 7 year old daughter and bank-in £3000 as a gift, until now I have never bank-in any money to her bank account, and just let the child account growth with the saving interest. So my question is in year 2023/2024, the interest rate has gone up a lot, and she gets £146 saving interest from bank for financial year 2023/2024, as I am her father and helping her to open a child bank account in 2021, do I have to pay tax for that exceed $46 saving interest? Thanks in advance.