Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• New Tax code and two employers have appeared on tax code notice?

I wondered if anyone has experienced similar. My husband received his tax code notice in June and noticed that it listed two employers (both related to his company). He spoke to them about it, and they said that they were in the process of changing payroll to another company and so it would be updated as soon as possible. (This is the sixth company that has been set up under their name to do payroll this year. They set these companies up, use them for a couple of months, and then close the company and start another.) Obviously, this hasn't been updated as promised, as his latest tax code notice has arrived, and both companies are still on there. He has looked on his online HMRC portal and found that his employer has also declared incorrect payroll/wage information to HMRC! He is paid weekly, getting around £500 a week, and his employers have reported that he is getting double his wages a week! This has meant that his latest Tax Code Notice is incorrect and he now has -£3281 personal tax allowance!!! I am assuming that HMRC believes that he is earning over £100,000 a year when in fact he is earning less that £30,000 a year!!! His employers are being extremely aggressive when my husband asks questions about taxes/wages and HMRC, and we just don't know what to do! We have wage slips and bank statements to prove that he was only paid once, but in the meantime, we are going to be losing a lot of money. This could also majorly affect our Universal Credit claim as his wages are being reported incorrectly. What do we need to do? I have a strong feeling that his employer isn't following the law, and as they are aware of the situation regarding a second company on the tax notice, would this mean that they are deliberately breaking the law?