Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: How to Pay Voluntary National Insurance Contributions from Abroad

Hi Peter, In regards to your post of 4 January, I did pay the monies before I filled in the CF83. Via the Government Gateway portal one can see how much money is owed to pay back years and so I just paid it as at the time they had not extended the deadline for payment (This was March 2023). I subsequently learned you needed to fill in a CF83 and I did get a case officer who obliquely acknowledged the monies had been received ("we have received monies from you, please specify how much was sent and the date it was sent"). HMRC has indicated there is a large backlog in processing and my CF83, other documentation and monies have not been processed (last time I checked via the Government Gateway), so yes I support your advice not to pay monies before you fill in the CF83 Hi HMRC, Can you advise the current backlog in processing for those outside the EU and when it is likely my case officer will write to me - and accept my back payments and update my records via Government Gateway - this is obviously assuming the payments made are correct and I have filled in the forms correctly

Hi, I started this post 6 months ago, filled in my CF83, was assigned a caseworker, had an acknowledgement on 28 April 2023 (by mail) that my payment had been received (thank you), but I had to explain when I made it (a slightly ridiculous question as the letter sent to me referenced the date it was received) and which years it applied to and how I calculated it. I have responded to all of these questions time as I sent a letter on 23rd April and a follow up letter on 1 July. I think in your first response to my original query you outlined the process that the online records will be updated and I will receive a letter of confirmation, however neither of these have occurred so I was inquiring as to the time frame within which I should expect a response and at what point should I be following up to ensure things have not gone awry (and how is it best to follow up as both my letters sent to date have not been acknowledged or responded to as yet despite many months passing). Sorry to hassle you, but updates to these posts in the community forum seem to be far more timely than other responses from HMRC

Thank you HMRC Admin 20 for your reply, but if you re-read my original post you will see that I have not filled in a CF83 application, nor been assigned an ICW. "I have not filled in any forms, I simply paid the amount showing on my record I could pay in back contributions." I have simply looked up on your website using my government gateway ID what National Insurance Contributions I owe and paid these to the HMRC bank account as specified in my original post. Hence the two questions I asked remain unanswered in your response. Perhaps to simplify things can you tell me: a) Have I done enough for HMRC to allocate the monies I sent by EFT to my NI record to fill up the back contributions I have voluntarily paid to increase my pension? b) If not what further steps do I need to take/other forms (If any) I need to fill in? Can you send me exact instructions on what I need to do if anything? Best regards
  • How to Pay Voluntary National Insurance Contributions from Abroad

Hi, I looked up my national insurance record online and wished to pay the back contributions to bring things up to date before the deadline. As I am abroad I followed the attached guide http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/gds/payinghmrc/ins13.pdf for paying from a UK bank account (pay to sort code 20 20 48 and account number 30944793). I used the reference number being my national insurance number surname and initial. I have not filled in any forms, I simply paid the amount showing on my record I could pay in back contributions. I note from other posts that it can take up to 39 weeks for my record to be updated. What re-assurance can I get that a) HMRC has received my contributions b) I have done enough for HMRC to allocate my contributions correctly. I don't want to wait 39 weeks to find out I need to fill in additional forms, etc, etc or worse find that my back-payments made have disappeared into the ether and then I have to begin a long process of finding out with HMRC where my payments went