Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Rental income split with spouse for foreign property

Hi there, Thank you for the follow-up on this. Are you saying that, if the overseas tax authority allows us to reallocate property income for the overseas property (e.g. 90% to my spouse and 10% to me), this would also allow us to pay UK income tax on the rental income as per this new split?
  • RE: Rental income split with spouse for foreign property

Hi there, Thank you for the response. Does this mean my spouse and I have no option to reallocate the share of rental income we each receive from our overseas jointly-owned property (i.e. as spouses we must pay tax as if the income were split 50/50 regardless of the ownership split)? Is there no Form 17 equivalent for overseas property rental income?
  • Rental income split with spouse for foreign property

Hi there, My spouse and I currently own a property in Poland in unequal shares (25%/75%). We both live in Scotland - I am a Higher Rate tax payer and my spouse is an Intermediate Rate tax payer. I would like to reallocate this property ownership so that my spouse receives the majority of rental income (e.g. 90%/10%). I understand this is possible via Form 17. The only question I have is how this works for foreign property. Is it sufficient for UK tax purposes to submit this form in the UK, or does the property deed also have to be amended within Poland? Thank you!