Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Self employed and Employed

Hi. I'm asking on behalf of my wife. She works as an employee and self-employed. She receives mileage from regular work, but they do not pay the full amount se we need to setup Self Assessment account to reclaim the difference. For her self-employed work she also does mileage and we need to claim these as expenses. Can she do both from same self assessment account, and how?
  • How to deal with One-off awards in Self assessment for HICBC

Hi. I was under the HICBC threshold, but last tax year I had a few payments which triggered the HICBC: the employer paid an annual bonus, a lump sum of payrise to tackle the inflation, and then I had a few other one-off awards for performance and innovation. Bonus is mentioned as something to include, but I am not sure the exceptional awards. If I use the total taxable income as the basis, the HICBC ends up clawing back my performance award completely and some portion of my other one-off award. It is as if I had worked hard for free. These one-off exceptional awards do not reflect my usual income, therefore I am trying to find out if these should be included in the adjusted net income, or not. Can you please help?