Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Calculating Holiday Entitlement for irregular employees by accrue method

The advice and example shows how a persons holiday entitlement builds up (accrue). The example shows how a person works x hours in a pay period, they gain a rounded holiday entitlement based on 12.07% of the hours they worked. Question 1: If someone is being paid for something they worked several pay periods ago, but were not actually paid for it then. Does it go into the amount they accrue in the period they are getting paid for it. So my "hours worked" for my next pay period could include hours that I did actually work but was not paid then. Just checking because the language of the example is all about the number of hours worked in the period, but it may be more accurate to say that the number of hours that are being paid in that payroll run. Question 2: The accrual build up looks like it is calculated each pay period, and rounded based on the calculation in that pay period. This can round up or down to the nearest hour. Is the rounding done separately each pay period? So a person could be unlucky and get rounded down each pay period. If they were calculated and rounded on year to date figures, then they may get some extra entitlement. If it is correct that it is rounded per pay period, if an employee wants to dispute the calculation, they would also have to calculate their expected entitlement and round per pay period too.