Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• State Pension from Switzerland and the UK, can you claim a state pension from both?

I have British and Swiss Nationalities. I have been living in Switzerland for approximately 30 years and during that time have made payments to their state pension system. In the UK I had already worked and had 6 years of full NIC payments. Recently I qualified for class 2 NICs payments and paid for 16 years backdated. I was at that time told by the HMRC advisor that I could claim a state pension in the UK and in Switzerland. I am continuing to pay my state pension contributions in Switzerland where I am employed, and also my voluntary NIC in the UK. When I retire in 8 years time I will be 2 years short of a full Swiss pension (which requires 40 years), and 2 years short of a full UK state pension. I pay tax in Switzerland on my income and global wealth, and also pay income tax in the UK from rental properties. In Switzerland the retirement age is 65 and in the UK it is 67. So my question is, in 8 years time when I retire, do I claim my pension from Switzerland at 65, and then make a separate claim my UK pension separately from the UK at 67? I am asking since the documentation is very complex and difficult to interpret: Convention on Social Security Coordination between the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the Swiss Confederation.