Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Invalid VAT number on Checker

How was this issue sorted for you guys? Its been over 10 weeks since my VAT started appearing as invalid. Despite several calls to HMRC, nothing has been done. We always get standard response from them that the case has been forwarded to VAT team, and there is nothing further they can do. This is really frustrating, annoying and highly unprofessional. All my VAT payments are up-to-date, however, VAT checker shows me as invalid.
  • RE: VAT Checker says my number is invalid

@jason How was this sorted? How long did you wait before this was sorted? Did you approach any specific team?
  • RE: VAT Checker - invalid VAT

Its been over 10 weeks now and this issue has not been resolved by HMRC. Really unprofessional service. every time we call the contact centre, they give a standard response that it has been forwarded to VAT team, and there is nothing further they can do. I have suffered huge business losses and yet there is no accountability at HMRC's end. Highly dissatisfied!
  • RE: VAT Checker - invalid VAT

Thank you for your message. Unfortunately, every time I have called HMRC, I got the same respone that case has been sent to VAT team, but there is no further update for 6 weeks now. Initially, your agent confirmed that I will get an update in 2 weeks, then I was given another 2 weeks, and now they say mid May. I have already lost all the business for past 6 weeks, and now I am on the brink of losing my Amazon Relay account. This is quite unfortunate that someone who has been using VAT for 1.5 years, paid all the VAT on time, has to go through this.
  • RE: Invalid VAT number on Checker

I am in exact same situation and my VAT has been appearing as invalid for past 5-6 weeks. I have lost thousands of pounds of work with Amazon, and now they are on the brink of closign my business account with them. Each time I call HMRC, I get a deadline, which is never adhered to. Did anyone manage to get this resolved?
  • RE: Invalid UK Vat Number - On-going Issue

I am in same situation and each time I call HMRC, I am given a timeline which is never adhered to by HMRC. I have lost thousands of pounds of business with Amazon as my VAT appears as invalid for past 5-6 weeks.
  • VAT Checker - invalid VAT

Hi there, I successfully registered my business for VAT in October 2022 and had been using the VAT number I was issued for past 1.5 years. Around 5 weeks ago I recieved an email from Amazon saying that my VAT was suspended. I checked on HMRC VAT checker and my VAT now appears as invalid VAT. I have paid all my VAT returns on time, yet my VAT has been suspended. I raised this with HMRC over the phone and was given 2 weeks to get the matter resolved. After 2 weeks there was no progress and I was given another 2 weeks. In my most recent phone call, they are now saying its 40 days and I will hear from them in May. I have lost thousands of pounds of business with Amazon yet HMRC keeps delaying it. I am unable to start new work with other companies as the VAT appears invalid. Has anybody experienced this, what the issue is at HMRC's end and how to get it resolved. Thanks