Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Charity donations Abroad

Dear HMRC I have made a number of donations to registered dog rescue charities abroad in the USA, India and Philippines. I noticed self assessment mentions Gift aid donations, but as my donations where to charities abroad I assume it is treated differently to UK donations via Gift aid. Could you please clarify whether I can claim my donations as an allowable deduction on my Self assessment?
  • RE: Mortgage Product Fee

Dear HMRC, Happy New Year to you I am filling out my tax assessment form SA105 relating to UK property income and expenses. We recently purchased a residential property to rent out with a buy to let mortgage on an interest only basis. Thank you for answering my previous query regards mortgage product fees. Could you kindly clarify whether we can also treat the mortgage valuation fees, fund transfer fee and legal fees relating to the mortgage as residential property finance costs in box 44 SA105?
  • RE: Mortgage Product Fee

Dear HMRC, I am filling out my tax assessment form SA105 relating to UK property income and expenses. We recently purchased a residential property to rent out with a buy to let mortgage on an interest only basis and incurred mortgage arrangement product fees in the tax year 2022/23. These product fees were added to the mortgage loan amount. I’m seeking confirmation as I have seen some comments on the web say mortgage arrangement fees, which are added to the mortgage, are treated as an allowable tax expense only in the tax year when the mortgage is repaid when using cash basis accounting. We are using the cash accounting basis to prepare the accounts for this tax return. Could you please confirm the mortgage arrangement product fee can be claimed in full as an allowable tax expense in 22/23, even though the arrangement product fee has been added to the mortgage? Kind regards