Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Handling a Chinese supplier invoice in my VAT return

WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.
  • How to handle a VAT invoice correction

Good day, I am after a bit of advice on how to handle a VAT invoice correction. To set the scene, I am a VAT registered sole trader using Cash accounting. I am about to submit my first VAT return for April to June just gone and on reviewing my figures I noticed an error in one of my first VAT invoices in April. The figures listed were: Net Price (GBP) £810.00 VAT 20% of (GBP) £172.00 TOTAL (GBP) £972.00 The Net Price and Total are correct but for VAT @ 20% I listed £172.00 instead of £162.00. To correct this, I have issued a Credit Note and a new Invoice to my customer, so as it stands, the original invoice was paid on the 31/05/2024 and the credit Note and new Invoice were issued on the 09/07/2024. My question is, am I right in assuming that as I have yet to submit my return for this period, looking at the VAT Manual – VATTOS5230, even though the Credit Note and New Invoice were submitted in July, the tax point created by the original invoice does not change, so I can just update my figures for that invoice in my April – June return and submit it (adding a note in my records regarding the credit note and new invoice submitted in July)? As shown my total figure was correct so there is no consideration in the change of supply or payment total - the only adjustment was to correct the listed VAT figure. Many thanks for your guidance, Warm regards, 

Name removed admin .