Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: House Clearance Allowance

Thank you. Just for others who may look this up - as I had not received a reply after a week I phoned the help line as was told by a “technician” if it was necessary before selling it could be claimed. Seems HMRC are inconsistent on this…
  • Is Paying Off Sellers Mortgage Part Of Buying Cost for CGT

Our parents were unable to pay off their endowment mortgage so the house was bought by the siblings for the mortgage value plus costs. Parents are now deceased and house sold so CGT is due. The full house value at the time of purchase has been obtained from an Estate Agent Is the paying of the mortgage included as part of the buying cost (solicitors, stamp duty etc) when completing the CGT return?
  • House Clearance Allowance

Three siblings have just sold their parent’s house. Most of the CGT inputs are very straight forward. However, one of the sibling’s accountants has proposed that the cost of house clearance can be argued as an expense as the house was stacked high and could not have been sold in that state. Anything I have read indicates this is incorrect. I have downloaded the guides but they are non specific on this subject. Can someone please confirm either way.