Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Taxation for Italian residents

Thanks Gary. I do understand what you’re saying. I think it’s very bad form that they effectively negate the UK personal allowance though. I have been “considered” for tax on a higher amount, and pay less due to that allowance.

Hi  Thanks for your reply. It doesn’t quite address the question I had though. Are you an HMRC employee? The question is over the UK personal tax allowance (approximately £12,500 per person). Essentially, the way Italy does it wipes out the benefit of the UK allowance. Any thoughts?

Name removed admin .

Good evening. Hopefully someone can shed some light....I have property in the UK but live in Italy and have been resident there for over 20 years. I declare the UK property rental income in the UK, less my UK personal tax allowance, so pay relatively low amount of UK tax. Italy says I have to declare the UK property rental income in Italy too, and deduct the amount of UK tax I have actually paid, rather than the amount I have been considered for, subsequently in effect annulling my UK tax allowance. This issue is doubled as the UK properties are jointly owned by my wife and we each have a UK tax allowance. It seems to me that this is double taxation. Can anyone confirm whether this is both correct and legal? Thank you.