Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: eBay sales confusion

Thank you, I am not trading so given the guidance tax is ordinarily not due in my case. However the guidance states " If you are just selling some unwanted items that have been laying around your home, such as the contents of a loft or garage, it is unlikely that you will have to pay tax." If it's "unlikely" that suggests there are situations where tax is due on selling unwanted items from around the home. Does this refer only to when a Capital Gain has arisen? As all of the items I sold were for less than their original cost, no capital gain has arisen. My understanding is, therefore, that I am not liable to pay tax on any of the eBay sales I outlined in my question above. If I have misunderstood the guidance you referred me to them please let me know, thank you.
  • eBay sales confusion

Please can you clarify whether tax should be paid on ebay sales in this situation? - selling personal or family items, ( nothing bought or made to sell). Sometimes selling for charity - selling around 300 items a year, small stuff including post cards, clothes, garage contents, ornaments, empty jars, toys, etc - Sales about £2000k a year I completed the online HMRC questionnaire and it said - "You do not need to pay tax on personal possessions you sold for less than £6,000.", however the press are reporting £1000 sales, and 30 items a year. This is very confusing. In the situation listed above is income tax due or not? thanks