Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Trading allowance

I've told you that the tool doesn't address my query. I've told you the self assessment line were of zero help. I've provided a general scenario and asked for general advice - and you're repeating the same thing again and again even though I've told you none of it is helpful. HMRC has widely publicised the fact online marketplace sellers are going to be under closer scrutiny, but has failed at every single turn to clarify seller obligations in all scenarios - leaving them vulnerable to unwittingly paying too little or to much tax. You're clearly refusing to answer my query, so I'll follow the formal complaints procedure to report these responses.

Please see my previous message, its been approved but no one has addressed it. The service I've received is unacceptable - live chat, the self assessment helpline and this forum have failed to provide a response to the simple scenario I've described, leaving me unsure of my obligations.

You've just replied the same thing again . I've already told you I've spoken to self assessment four times and they were no help. I've provided you with a generic scenario, yet you've failed to respond to my query. If you don't know what I should do in this scenario, and nor do your self assessment colleagues, how am I supposed to know? I look forward to some clarification in your next response.

Name removed admin .

I've contacted the self assessment team four times and they've been unable to provide an answer. I've already told you the link doesn't address my query either. So can you please explain the rules when someone is selling both personal possessions at a loss on the original purchase price, as well as new items for a small profit. With the total for both adding up to over the £1000 trading allowance, but the majority of that money coming from 'clearing our the attic'? I look forward to your considered response, I'm asking for general guidance not an answer to a specific query. So far this had felt like HMRC doesn't actually know the answer to my question. I've no idea whether there is any tax to pay, and neither do the staff on your self assessment helpline or live chat!

Can I get an answer to my previous response please? The link you provided wasn't helpful unfortunately.

Hi, the guidance doesn't answer my question unfortunately - that's why I've asked here for further clarification. It seems to me that HMRC staff arent clear about the rules either and thats why the same generic link is being posted over and again when replying to people. All of the examples within the guidance show either all trading income, or all 'clearing out the attic' type scenarios. My income had been made up of a mixture of both. I've made a small £300 profit selling u worn clothes, as well as a much larger loss selling old items by clearing out the attic. The total when I add both of those scenarios together takes me to £1200, but most of that was a loss on the original price I paid for the clothing. If you could explain my obligations in this case, that would be great. Thank you
  • Trading allowance

Hi, the total I've earned on selling platforms without fees deducted is £1200. £500 of that was made selling old clothes at a loss, and £700 included some profit from selling new items (originally paid £400 for those items so £300 profit). Do I need to register for self assessment and if so, what proportion do I owe tax on?