Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: How to Pay Voluntary National Insurance Contributions from Abroad

Dear Admins On the page of your website entitled "Your UK National Insurance record" there is a message at the very top which has been there for a while now which says "Important You can soon use your Personal Tax Account to check if you can make voluntary National Insurance contributions, and pay using the online service." Please can you give an indication of: a) What "soon" means in the above Important statement ? b) Will the facility to pay include payments from people living overseas or just UK residents ... My UK State Pension becomes available to me in April this year, and I sent my UK State Pension Application to you in January 2024, which I know you have received because you sent me a message telling me not to contact you about my application, and my Birth Certificate has already made its way back to Australia ... However, I have been trying to find out from your since 2015 how much I need to pay in additional voluntary contributions to get my pension payment up to the maximum available to me. I have submitted the necessary form and in December 2022 received a letter asking for further information, which I replied to in January 2023, which according to my online account you received in March 2023 ... I did call in July 2023 and did eventually get through (after waiting for a couple sessions of a Test Match !!!) asking when I might get a reply I was told I could easily have to wait for another 12 months before getting a reply ... I assume that if I start to receive my UK State Pension from April 2024 that I will still be able able to make the voluntary contributions to increase the weekly payments up to the maximum amount available to me ?? I do hope you are able to clarify these issues for me ... Kind regards Philip Paxton