Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Foreign income for

Dear Admin, What rate of tax on dividends from Polish companies can I claim when I report dividends in Self Assessment? Is it a 10% rate for dividends from Polish companies? I would like to mention that the dividend tax rate in Poland is 19%. Thank you in advance for your answer.

Dear Admin, You've written: "[...] enter the details of each disposal on CGN11 and CGN12." My question: If I report overseas capital gains in Self Assessment Tax Return online, is it possible to include details of the disposal of individual shares, as can be done on the paper forms CGN11 and CGN12? Thank you in advance for your answer.

Dear Admin, In response to my earlier question about losses, in which I included a quote from your website: "You do not have to report losses straight away - you can claim up to 4 years after the end of the tax year that you disposed of the asset", you wrote: "If you normally complete a return then it is best to enter this (information about the loss - my footnote) on at the time rather than have to then write in at a later date. Once it has been reported it is available until required. The 4 year time limit is only for reporting the loss, not for using it. " My question is: Up to how many maximum years back can I use my previously reported losses to reduce my current income? Thank you in advance for your answer.

Dear Admin, Below I am presenting a fragment of the content from the link you sent in the last post: "If your capital gain is not from a residential property sold after 6 April 2020, you can report your gain: 1) in a Self Assessment tax return 2) using the 'real time' Capital Gains Tax Service " So my question is: If I report Foreign Capital Gains, which comes from the sale of shares on the stock exchange, in a Self Assessment Tax Return (and I do not use the 'real time' Capital Gains Tax Service "), do I have to fill in box 29 (Total gains or losses on the disposal of an asset of this type reported on Real Time Transaction returns)? In other words: Is the filling of box 29 intended only for people who use the 'real time' Capital Gains Tax Service? Thank you in advance for your answer.

Dear Admin, You've written: "If you reported your capital gains in 'real time' which means at the time of the sale via the capital gains portal you would add the figure from box 26 to 29. And if you paid tax on the gain at the time of reporting then this tax paid figure would go into box 30. " Does this mean that using the 'real time' Capital Gains Tax service is not for me and I do not have to fill in boxes 29 and 30 (on the Capital Gains Tax summary pages) if I report foreign capital gains using Self Assessment Tax Return? Thank you in advance for your answer.

Dear Admin, You've written: "If you’ve disposed of listed shares or securities and included this when you used the 'real time' Capital Gains Tax service, put the overall gain or loss in the box. If the result for the year was a loss, put a minus sign in the shaded box in front of your figure. " Well, that's exactly what I can read in the note to box 29 in Capital Gains Tax summary notes. The only problem is that I do not really understand the content of this note. Personally, I understand what to enter in the boxes: 23 (Number of disposals), 24 (Disposal proceeds), 25 (Allowable costs), 26 (Gains in the year, before losses) and 27 (Losses in the year). However, I do not understand what to enter in box 29 (Total gains or losses on the disposal of an asset of this type reported on Real Time Transaction returns). Do I enter in box 29 the sum of the profits from box 26 (Gains in the year, before losses) and losses from box 27 (Losses in the year)? If so, what exactly does the phrase "reported on Real Time Transaction returns" mean to me? How should I understand this in the context of filling box 29? I would like to add that it is about selling shares listed on the stock exchange. Thank you in advance for your answer.

Dear Admin, In response to my question, you wrote: "The real time transaction refers to gains that are not property related and the Capital Gains Tax service is to report gains made on UK property." Thank you very much for your answer, but if you could still answer the second part of the question I asked before, which I am posting below, I would be very grateful. Do they (these above-mentioned terms) apply to my case (sale of shares on a foreign stock exchange), and if so, how? In other words: What exactly should I enter in my case in box 29 (Total gains or losses on the disposal of an asset of this type reported on Real Time Transaction returns), which is in the Listed shares and securities subsection, when I made several sales of shares in a year ? This box is on form SA108 on page CG1.

Dear Admin, Admin 17 has written: "All the shares in the Section 104 holding are regarded as indistinguishable parts of a single asset which grows or shrinks as shares are acquired or disposed of. You would need to provide details of computations either as an attachment or in the appropriate white space box accompanying the capital gains section on the return. " Admin 2 has written: "You will need to complete one for each disposal that has different dates of purchase." I don't really understand if these two answers answer the same question I asked above. I quote the question below: "On pages CGN 11 and CGN 12 there is a request to enter the date of purchase of assets (in my case, shares) in boxes (Date of acquisition DD MM YYYY). What should I do (put in boxes) if I have sold an asset that was purchased on different days and I have not sold all the shares of the same type, but only some of them? " If the shares were bought at different prices and on different days over a period of time, isn't it enough to simply enter in the appropriate place in the Capital Gains Section (form SA108, page CG4), i.e. box 54, their average purchase price and write that the shares belong to Section 104 holding, and then write how many of them were sold and when? Thank you in advance for your answer.

Dear Admin, In form SA108 on the CG2 website (Listed shares and securities) there is box 29 - "Total gains or losses on the disposal of an asset of this type reported on Real Time Transaction returns". In the annotation to this box, I can read: "If you’ve disposed of listed shares or securities and included this when you used the 'real time' Capital Gains Tax service, put the overall gain or loss in the box." I don't really understand the terms "Real Time Transaction return" and " 'Real time' Capital Gains Tax service". Could you explain them more to me? Do they apply to my case (sale of shares on a foreign stock exchange), and if so, how? Thank you in advance for your answer.

Dear Admin, You've written: "[...] enter the details of each disposal on CGN11 and CGN12." Question : On pages CGN 11 and CGN 12 there is a request to enter the date of purchase of assets (in my case, shares) in boxes (Date of acquisition DD MM YYYY). What should I do (put in boxes) if I have sold an asset that was purchased on different days and I have not sold all the shares of the same type, but only some of them? Thank you in advance for your answer.