Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Change Name After Marriage

Hi HMRC Admin 21 Please can you tell me how I raise a complaint regarding this post/thread? I find it unsatisfactory that I have waited a year for my letter to be replied to, and it now appears will never be replied to. I want to know at least if they did receive my letter and what has been done about it. I can't imagine that the letter did not get to HMRC as it was sent correctly via Royal Mail. Unfortunately I did not track the letter. The advice from HMRC in this thread is repeatedly to phone HMRC, but I have set out the reasons why this has not been possible in my earlier posts. It feels like HMRC has not read my earlier posts properly otherwise they would not advise to phone. Thank you

Dear HMRC Admin 20 Thank you for your help so far with this matter. I originally sent the letter on 21 March 2023, so it has now been a year since I sent the letter. Please can you confirm when I may receive a reply? Thank you Michael

Hi HMRC Admin 20 Thank you for your help to date with my query. It has now been 33 weeks since I sent my letter but I haven't had a reply yet. Please can you confirm the correspondence dates the team are working on right now? Many thanks 

Hi Thank you for the advice. We've called the NI Helpline 4 times now (waiting around 1 hour on hold each time). We called on different days at different times, from different phones. None of the HMRC staff can hear us. Their lines keep breaking up. We've tested our phones by calling other people from the same place and it is crystal clear. Please can you advise what we can do? We're happy to visit HMRC in person if that is an option, or do it via post. Like I said earlier, we've already written to HMRC with copies of marriage certificate, driving licence and council tax bill - that was on 21 March and we've had no acknowledgement. We wrote to PT Operations North East England HM Revenue and Customs BX9 1AN United Kingdom My wife is disabled so post would be the preferred way to do this. Is there any way you can ask someone from HMRC to call us? Thank you
  • Change Name After Marriage

Hi all Hoping someone can help! My wife wants to check her historic NI record but doesn't have an online account. We tried to sign up for an account and the sign up process only works using her maiden name, and then when we get to the ID verification it fails because all her ID is in her new married name. As a result we can't get into the online account. The website says change your name via the online account, but we can't get into it. The phone line sends us to the online account. The phone line says you can't change the name until after you're married. We've also written to HMRC with copies of marriage certificate, driving licence and council tax bill. No idea what to do! Any help greatly appreciated, even if we call and wait for hours I don't mind, but all the numbers we call just say we can't help, send us online and hang up! I'm happy to even go and visit a HMRC office somewhere in our region, anything. Thanks