Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: VAT exemption on medical services supplied

Thank you very much for confirming, and for the help above.

Thanks for your help. There is just the outstanding query in relation to the contracted parties that I need to understand. If the contract is between myself and an event company to provide paramedic emergency medical services (as described above) to a third party (such as guests at an event who are not directly paying my company for the emergency medical services we offer), is that service VAT exempt? OR would the contract have to be directly between my company and the third party beneficiary (ie the beneficiary of the emergency medical services)? Thank you.

Hi, section 5 of 701/37 doesn't appear to be relevant to my company's situation - so I'm a bit confused by your last message. I was referring to "Health professionals and pharmaceutical products (VAT Notice 701/57)". We are not a registered institution. My company supplies medical services (as referred to at the start of this thread) as part of its operations. Your previous helpful responses have clarified that, if our medical services remain under our control and the service is provided by a registered paramedic and/or medics supervised by a registered paramedic, then the service would be exempt from VAT. My query was to check whether for the VAT exemption to apply, the contract needs to be between our company and the end user of the service, or whether it can be between ourselves and say an event organiser company to deliver medical services to end users at an event, and still have VAT exemption. I hope that clarifies the query. Thank you.

Thank you very much for this. Sorry to ask another question, but it is essential I get this right! Please could I check the following: If my company is contracted by another company (such as the event organiser) to deliver emergency medical services (as described above, by a registered paramedic and/or by a non-registered paramedic under the supervision of a registered paramedic) to a third party, such as guests at an event who are not directly paying for the medical services we offer but are the beneficiaries of these medical services, is that service still VAT exempt, or would the contract have to be between my company and the third party beneficiary (ie the end users)? Thank you, in anticipation.

Sorry - I also meant to ask whether, to comply with the VAT exemption, the registered paramedic must be on site or whether they are able to supervise remotely (there are times where our paramedic or doctor is overseeing a number of medics at different locations and operates from a central location). Thank you again for your help.

Thank you for your reply. Just to clarify, if we provide a non-registered medic as part of the service, does the same apply so long as the medic is working under the supervision of a registered paramedic / doctor? Thank you.
  • VAT exemption for training given to voluntary CQC registered ambulance charity

Hi, please could I check whether medical training provided to a voluntary CQC registered ambulance charity volunteer medics would be VAT exempt. Thank you.
  • VAT exemption on medical services supplied

We are a vat registered company who, as a small part of our business, supplies paramedics and medics to provide emergency pre-hospital medical care for participants at events. My understanding (in accordance with VAT Notice 701/57) is that if we supply a paramedic or medic (who will work under the supervision of a paramedic) to offer this service to participants, this particular service should be vat exempt. All medics/paramedics would be working under our company's direction rather than working for an alternative company (such as the event organiser). Please would you confirm if this interpretation is correct. Thank you.