Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• "Find your National Insurance Number" not working

I'm trying to find my NI number. I am from South Africa, and was in the UK studying in 2021-2022. I applied for an NI number in that period. Now I am returning to the UK, and need my NI number for my visa, but I cannot find it anywhere. I've tried the portal here : https://www.gov.uk/find-national-insurance-number - I log into the Government Gateway - It says "Confirm your identity to get your National Insurance number online", and lists passport as an option—which is what I have access to. - Then "We need to check your identity" - Asks for my name and DOB - "We will ask you about your National Insurance number" ... - So I select "No, I have lost or forgotten my National Insurance number " - It asks about my postcode, so I provide the address I last stayed at in the UK - "We need you to confirm your identity", and "international passport" is listed as an option - But because my passport (from South Africa) is not "biometric", none of the options work. What should I do to get my NI number?