Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Deducting expenses, self employed. (12 week contract abroad)

I'm certainly not "unsure about reading" the guidance. You have avoided my case entirely. I'm more unsure about the validity of this service. I don't need links and numbers I already have. I need someone to bother to read what I am saying. "unsure about reading" is a micro aggression and sloppy work.
  • RE: Deducting expenses, self employed. (12 week contract abroad)

It's because I didn't find anything specifically related to rent paid abroad that I asked for help. I have looked through that copy-paste link. But it's focuses on people working in the UK with a small section on overnight trips as travel expenses. I need to reiterate, 3 months rent, paid my myself. I'm not sure how I might reword it more clearly.
  • Deducting expenses, self employed. (12 week contract abroad)

I am Self employed, UK national, resident in the UK and I have been offered a temporary work placement in Sweden in the summer. 1) What do I need to ensure I do before I go regarding HMRC? Or indeed, any such offer I receive of a similar timescale. 2) nothing is paid for by the company. I have to pay for my accommodation privately and I must also fund my transportation costs. I consider these working expenses that are directly related to the ability to work, exclusively. Do I have the right to claim these expenses? Thank you for assistance. Mr Smith
  • RE: Split Treatment : Self Emplyed UK Citizen (returning to the UK)

You are the best! Thanks a lot. That's a great start. I have already registered for self assessment. And I just called to get the SA103 and the SA109 sent. What remained unclear is -"take the statutory residence tests" To take a test. I'm assuming I won't be taking any actual test, rather unpon filling the forms my status will undergo screening and I'll be assessed by information provided. Or is there, indeed an actual test one needs to take?
  • Split Treatment : Self Emplyed UK Citizen (returning to the UK)

Dear Team, I am a British national returning to the UK after 19 years as a EU resident and working in the EU exclusively. I de-registered in Austria, in October 2023 and now I am living with my Parents in the UK as Resident . I don't have a job in the UK but I still work with previous clients. I have applied for a tax code to do a self-assessment on all earnings I need to know what I must ask for, look for and include in order to seek split year treatment for the upcoming tax year . April 2023- April 2024 . Naturally my aim is not to pay tax on my earning while I was not a UK resident. All tips and feedback very welcome. I have more than enough time to get this right and I'd like to start researching now . Regards